Tuesday 29 September 2015

I TESTED 7 NATURAL WAYS TO FALL ASLEEP. HERE'S WHAT ACTUALLY WORKED

I TRIED 7 NATURAL WAYS TO FALL ASLEEP.  HERE'S WHAT ACTUALLY WORKED


By mindbodygreen.com - Leah Vanderveldt

For most of my life, I've had a hard time falling asleep. My mind seems to light up with random thoughts, worries, and stresses as soon as my head hits the pillow.
There was a phase when I relied heavily on reruns of The Office to drown out my noisy brain. But eventually I reached a stage when listening to the drama of Jim and Pam's relationship no longer cut it.
I turned to a few lifestyle changes like less caffeine, regular exercise, and a meditation practice (although irregular), which seemed to help.
Inevitably, there are still nights when despite how tired I am, I'm kept awake thinking about that email I forgot to send. I started to look for quick fixes for those times when I find myself wide awake at midnight, wishing for nothing more than to seamlessly drift off.

I tested seven natural tricks and methods designed to help me both fall asleep and get more restful sleep. But first, I laid some basic ground rules to make sure my sleep experiment wasn't altered by any big issues before testing out other natural methods.
The basic rules:
  • No caffeine after 12 p.m.
  • Minimal (0-1 serving) alcohol
  • Avoid screens an hour before bed
  • Eliminate light entirely (I'm all about the sleep mask)
  • Regular exercise (5-6 mornings per week)
The sleep tricks:
1. Dab on lavender essential oil.
What I did: A dab of lavender essential oil on my wrists and temples.
The verdict: This felt really earth mothery, in the best kind of way. The smell was unexpectedly soothing. It might be a placebo effect, but it really helps me feel calmer and ready for sleep.
I actually integrated it into my bedtime routine, so now it's a signal to my brain that it's time to chill. But it's more of a de-stresser than a sleep aid.
2. Breathe through the left nostril.
What I did: This pranayama practice is simply about breathing through (you guessed it) your left nostril. I placed my thumb on the outside of my right nostril and pressed it closed. Then I just breathed deeply, counting to 26 breaths, as recommended.
The verdict: I felt a little silly, but it was good that I was focusing on my breathing and counting, which slowed my brain down. I lost track of my counting a few times and eventually drifted off. I guess that means it worked?

No comments:

Post a Comment